Schedule Includes First-Event Short-Course Competition
Alabama Golf Association Season Opener: Women’s Scramble on March 24
The Alabama Golf Association announced its tournament schedule for 2021. In a first, the AGA’s season will conclude with a one-day short course tournament in November.
After a trying 2020 season that included coping with COVID-19 and hurricanes, AGA Executive Director Andy Priest and his staff have assembled a schedule for men, women and juniors that will take competitors from Goose Pond Colony in northeast Alabama all the way to the Gulf Coast at the Lakewood Golf Club and points in-between.
And after successfully navigating the uncertainty of 2020, Priest is cautiously optimistic the Alabama Golf Association will be able to cope with whatever 2021 has to offer.
“We don’t know what to expect, but we are planning for a full schedule,” he said recently after recapping the 2020 season. “In fact, we’re expanding the schedule. We are adding some new events to the calendar.”
In addition to the new short-course event to cap the season, two one-day events for women have been added to the schedule. Both are two-person scrambles. The first will open the season Alabama Golf Association season on March 24 at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Ross Bridge course. A fall two-person scramble will close out the women’s schedule at Greystone Golf and Country Club’s Legacy course Oct. 6.
Also, the AGA will host the Alabama Partner’s Kickoff Scramble March 26-27 at the RTJ’s Oxmoor Valley that is open to men and women.
Priest said the Kickoff Scramble is designed to get the “golf juices flowing again.”
The event features two-person teams consisting of either two men, two women or mixed male-female teams.
Alabama Golf Association ED: “We are reinventing our mixed-team event,” Priest said. “It will just be to kind of knock the rust off coming out of the winter and play some golf and have fun.”
He’s also excited for the season-ending Alabama Short-Course Challenge at Oxmoor Valley.
“It’s one of the things I have had on my future planning chart ever since I started here,” he said. “You look around the state and you’ve got all these fantastic short courses. We wanted to be able to leverage those and create an event.”
The Short-Course Challenge won’t be an AGA Championship event, but Priest said it will bring together golfers of all age groups and skill levels.
“They can tee it up. Everybody can play the short course,” he said.
Pine Tree Country Club in Birmingham will host the Men’s State Amateur Championship, while the Goose Pond Colony Resort will host the Women’s Stroke Play Championship.
The Alabama Boys State Championship is set for Lakewood Golf Club’s Dogwood course, while the Girls State Championship is scheduled for the Canebrake Golf Club.
Here’s the tournament schedule for the 2021 Alabama Golf Association season:
Alabama Golf Association 2021 Men’s Events
- March 26-27: Alabama Kickoff Scramble (men, women), Oxmoor Valley
- April 29-May 2: Alabama State Four-Ball Championship, WynLakes Golf and Country Club
- May 14-16: Alabama State Senior, Super-Senior Championship, Country Club of Mobile
- June 9-12: Alabama Men’s State Amateur, Pinetree Country Club
- June 28: Alabama State Parent-Child, RTJ at Ross Bridge
- Aug. 5-8: Alabama State Match Play/Senior Match Play, Auburn University Club
- Aug. 27-29: Southeast Mid-Amateur Four-Ball, Willow Point Golf and Country Club
- Sept. 17-19: Alabama State Mid-Amateur, Hoover Country Club
- Oct. 8-10: Alabama State Senior/Super-Senior Four-Ball, Inverness Country Club
- Oct. 16-17: Men’s Southeastern Challenge Match (Alabama, Florida, Georgia), Willow Point Golf and Country Club
- Nov. 6: Alabama Short-Course Challenge, Oxmoor Valley (men, women)
- March 24: Ladies Spring Two-Person Scramble, RTJ at Ross Bridge
- June 22-24: Alabama Women’s Stroke Play Championship, Goose Pond Colony Resort
- June 22-24: Alabama Women’s State Senior/Super-Senior Amateur, Goose Pond Colony Resort (held in conjunction with women’s stroke play championship)
- July 19-20: Alabama Women’s State Four-Ball, Senior Four-Ball, Musgrove Country Club
- Aug. 23: U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur qualifying, Montgomery Country Club
- Oct. 6: Ladies Fall Two-Person Scramble, Greystone Golf and Country Club, Legacy course
- June 8-10: Alabama Girls Junior Championship, Canebrake Golf Club
- June 11: U.S. Girls Junior Qualifying, Canebrake Golf Club
- June 23-24: Alabama State Junior 13-under Championship, Bent Brook Golf Course
- July 20-22: Alabama Boys State Junior Championship, Lakewood Golf Club, Dogwood course
- Aug. 2-3: Southern Junior Cup, Shadow Valley Country Club (Rogers, Ark.)
For more information and registration dates, go visit the AGA’s website.
Gregg Dewalt is the editor of Alabama Golf News.
Have a story idea or a news item to report? Email email@example.com
(Featured image credit: Bent Brook Golf Course)